22 December 2009

Getting ready for our trip!


For the next month, Colin and I will be documenting our trip as much as we can! We may give some information about food, but for the most part, we will write about our sights and travels. For the past 3 months I've read travel book after travel book and what do I have to show for it 1 day before we leave? A flight to Auckland, first night's lodging in Auckland, a flight to Christchurch, a rental car in Christchurch, a flight to Cairns from New Zealand and a flight back home from Sydney! Yesterday, Colin says to me "with our long flight, we can detail out what our itinerary should entail!" My response is that he has to catch up by picking up at least 1 travel book! This is the first time either of us is traveling without everything planned out. It's exciting, but scary. I worry about not finding lodging or having to pay a lot of money for a place to sleep. We may also get stuck not being able to do some of the things we want to because it is sold out. But, as my coworker pointed out to me today, "we can just enjoy being on vacation in a beautiful location." For those of you who know me, I always need to be doing something - it's a Clemente thing. In addition, planning everything out is my type A personality. So, this trip is me "stepping out of my comfort zone!!"
Here's a list of some things we've done to prepare for our trip:
1. Colin took out about 10 library books on Australia and New Zealand
2. Nicolle read several sections of at least 6 of the library books Colin took out
3. Colin set up our netbook with Skype, and set up both the Miller and Clemente families with Skype so we can communicate for the next month.
4. Nicolle got all the batteries charged and purchased/packed all the medical supplies (first aid kit, immodium, pepto bismol, sleep aids, earplugs, toiletries, etc.)
5. Colin researched and purchased the electrical adapter
6. Nicolle drove the car to RI to leave with the Clementes (and almost didn't make it back to NYC because of the snow storm!)

We both packed our bags on Sunday to make sure we didn't need to make any last minute purchases - and to make sure everything fit!

Finally, Nicolle donated her hair to wigs for kids today. Kids get a nice, thick wig and Nicolle gets a lighter head and easier to deal with hair maintenance.

Colin and Nicolle wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! We look forward to speaking with friends and family on Skype, and through our blog. Nicolle's skype name is nicollemclemente and Colin's is colin.miller888. We hope you enjoy sharing in our experiences with us via the world wide web.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you made it there safely! Merry Christmas, Millers :) Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to follow along with you guys as you adventure! Us Type A's don't do well with no plans but I hope it works out great for you!! Emily

    ReplyDelete